Date of promulgation:
SUPPLEMENT No. 13 22nd June, 2007
STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS SUPPLEMENT
to The Uganda Gazette No. 31 Volume C dated 22nd June, 2007 Printed by UPPC, Entebbe, by Order of the Government.
STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS 2007 No. 22.
The Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions (Establishment of Busitema University) Instrument, 2007.
(Under sections 22 (1), 24 (1) and 25 of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001, Act No. 7 of2001)
In exercise of the powers conferred upon the Minister responsible for education by section 22 (1), 24 (1) and 25 of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001, this Instrument is made this 25th day of May, 2007.
This Instrument may be cited as the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions (Establishment of Busitema University) Instrument, 2007.
- Establishment of Busitema University
- There is established a public University to be known as the Busitema University.
- The headquarters of the University shall be located in Busitema, Busia District in Eastern Uganda in the area specified in the Schedule to this Instrument.
- Objects of the University
The objects for which the University is established are—
- to be the standard of excellence and innovation for societal transformation;
- to be a leader in integrating scholarship and practice;
- to serve societal needs and to foster social and economic
- to be global in perspective, organization and action;
- to engage staff and students in creative and rewarding learning
so as to enhance economic and societal development in Uganda and beyond; and
- to assist local communities and to build their capacity for socio
- Functions of the University
The functions of the University are—
- to provide instruction to all those admitted to the University and
make provision for the advancement, transmission and preservation of knowledge, and to stimulate intellectual life in Uganda;
- to organise and conduct courses with particular emphasis on
sciences, technology and education;
- to conduct examinations and award certificates, diplomas and
degrees and where necessary to revoke such awards;
- to undertake the development and sustenance of research and
publication with particular emphasis in sciences, technology and education;
- to disseminate knowledge and give opportunity of acquiring
higher education to all persons, including persons with disabilities, wishing to do so regardless of race, political, opinion, colour, creed or sex;
- to provide accessible physical facilities to the users of the
- Mission and Vision of the University
- The vision and mission of the University shall be as specified in the Schedule to this Instrument.
- The Minister may on the recommendation of the National Council for Higher Education, after consultation with the University, amend the Schedule to this Instrument.
SCHEDULE 1. Location of Busitema University
The University with a multi campus model shall have its headquarters at Busitema, Busia District in Eastern Uganda.
The University shall be a centre of excellence in developing practical, innovative and motivated graduates who effectively respond to local and international communities.
The mission of the University is to enhance professionalism and innovativeness through research and community service for the transformation of society and sustainable development.
GERALDINE NAMIREMBE BITAMAZIRE, Minister of Education and Sports.
I certify that this Resolution and the Statutory Instrument attached hereto were passed by Parliament on 10th May 2007.
A.M. TANDEKWIRE, Clerk to Parliament.