This Statute was repealed on 2007-06-29 by Seeds and Plant Act, 2007.
Agricultural Seeds and Plant Act
- Commenced on 23 September 1994
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
- [Repealed by Seeds and Plant Act, 2007 on 29 June 2007]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Administration
2. National Seed Industry Authority
3. Functions of the authorityThe functions of the authority shall be to carry out the administration of this Act by—
4. The variety release committee
5. Functions of the variety release committeeThe functions of the variety release committee shall be—
6. National Seed Certification Service
7. Plant breeding and registration of breeders
8. Multiplication and licensing
9. Seed conditioner and conditioning
10. Seed marketing
11. Seed testing laboratoryThe Minister shall, for the purposes of this Act, establish a national seed testing laboratory under the National Seed Certification Service.
12. Phytosanitary standards and practicesThe director may, through the National Seed Certification Service, establish phytosanitary standards and practices for any particular crop as the need arises and may, by notice in writing, direct the owner or a person having charge of seed or plant harbouring pests and diseases to destroy the seed or plants either within a specified time or immediately and in any manner.
13. Affixing labelsThe National Seed Certification Service shall affix appropriate official labels and seals to all certified seed classes and may delegate its authority to a licensed seed testing laboratory or conditioner.
14. Reports and certificatesThe National Seed Certification Service shall affix appropriate reports and certificates authenticating the various certification classes of seeds.
Part III – Offences, penalties and miscellaneous
15. Sale of substandard prescribed seed
16. Sale of prescribed seed under different name
17. Tampering with samplesAny person who—
18. Altering official records, etc.Any person who, without lawful authority, alters, defaces or removes—
19. Altering documents and marksAny person who, without lawful authority, alters or defaces—
20. SecrecyAny person who—
21. PenaltiesA person who commits an offence under this Act is liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding four years or to both.
22. Inspection of registersAll registers and rolls maintained by the National Seed Industry Authority under this Act shall, at all reasonable times, be open to the inspection of any person applying to the director on payment of the prescribed fee.
23. General exemptionsThis Act shall not apply—
24. Exemption by the Minister
25. RegulationsThe Minister may, after consultation with the National Seed Industry Authority, make regulations for the control of breeding, multiplication, marketing and certification of seed, and generally for better carrying out the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
29 June 2007
Repealed by Seeds and Plant Act, 2007
23 September 1994