Makerere University (Deposit Library) Act
- Commenced on 1 March 1958
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, "book" includes every part or division of a book, newspaper, periodical, magazine, review, Gazette, pamphlet, sheet of letterpress, sheet of music, map, plan, chart or table separately published, but does not include any second or subsequent edition of a book unless such edition contains additions or alterations either in the letterpress or in the maps, prints or other illustrative material belonging to the book.
2. Delivery of copies of books, etc.
3. Offences and penaltiesIf any publisher fails to comply with any of the provisions of section 2, he or she commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine of one hundred shillings, and the court before which the publisher is convicted may, in addition, order the offender to deliver to the librarian of the deposit section of the library of Makerere University or to the Minister or to both, as the case may be, a copy of the book in respect of which the conviction is recorded, or to pay to the librarian or to the Minister or to both, as the case may be, the value of the book.
4. Powers of exemptionThe Minister may by statutory order exempt from all or any of the provisions of this Act any specified class of book either absolutely or subject to such conditions as may be specified in the order.
History of this document
01 March 1958