Hide and Skin Trade Act
- Commenced on 6 December 1951
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Buying and treating hides and skins
2. RegionsThe commissioner may, by statutory instrument, declare any part of Uganda to be a hides region or a skins region, or a hides and skins region and assign to any such region the designation by which it shall be known.
3. Restrictions on purchase of hides and skins
4. Restrictions on internal purchases by noncitizens
5. Buyers licences and conditions attached to the licences
6. Cancellation or suspension of buyers licence
Part III – Export of hides and skins
7. Restrictions on export of hides and skinsThe commissioner may by statutory instrument appoint places in Uganda to be known as hides and skins exporting centres, and after the exporting centres have been so appointed, no exporter shall export any hides or skins except through a hides and skins exporting centre or through a place specified under section 3 of the Hides and Skins (Export Duty) Act.
8. Exporters-buyers licenceNo person shall export any hide or skin unless he or she is in possession of a valid exporters-buyers licence in the prescribed form issued to him or her by the licensing officer.
9. Issue of exporters-buyers licence and conditions attached to the licence
10. Cancellation or suspension of exporters or exporters-buyers licence
Part IV – Powers of inspection, search and seizure
11. Power of inspection, search and seizure
Part V – Offences
12. Offence to buy, etc. certain dried hidesNo person shall sell or offer for sale, and no holder of a buyers licence or exporters-buyers licence shall be in possession of, purchase, sell or offer for sale any dried hide or skin which is smeared with blood, dung or any foreign substance or which is seriously damaged by knife cuts or scores in the preparation or otherwise, or which is not properly dried and in a fit condition for storage; except that a holder of a buyers licence may purchase and prepare green hides and green skins if licensed for that purpose in accordance with section 3(2).
13. Only exporters to apply regional brand marksNo person other than the holder of an exporters-buyers licence or a person acting under his or her instructions shall place on any hide or skin the distinguishing mark referred to under section 9(2)(c), nor remove for export or sale any hide or skin from the region in which it has been prepared.
14. Miscellaneous offences; general penalty
Part VI – Miscellaneous
15. Power to make rules
16. Delegation of powersThe commissioner may delegate all or any powers, duties and functions conferred or imposed upon him or her by this Act to any person in respect of the whole of Uganda or any area of Uganda.
17. SavingThe provisions of this Act shall be in addition to and not in derogation of the provisions of any written law relating to public health, urban authorities or trading.
History of this document
06 December 1951