Cattle Traders Act
- Commenced on 30 September 1943
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
1. InterpretationIn this Act—
2. Cattle traders to be licensedNo person shall engage in the business of a cattle trader in any area of Uganda unless he or she is in possession of a valid licence issued to him or her by a veterinary officer in the prescribed form; and no person shall have more than one such licence; except that a veterinary officer may, in his or her discretion, endorse a licence for use in such additional area or areas as he or she may specify.
3. Applications for licences
4. Export licences
5. Movement of cattleThe Minister, on the advice of the commissioner of livestock and entomology, may by statutory order prohibit or restrict the movement of cattle from any area to any other area.
6. Register of licencesThe commissioner of livestock and entomology shall keep a register of all persons to whom a cattle trader’s licence has been issued under this Act.
7. Duration of licencesEvery licence issued under this Act shall come into force on the date specified in the licence and shall, unless earlier cancelled or suspended under the provisions thereof, remain valid until the next following 31st day of December.
8. Licensing offencesAny person who—
10. Offences and penalties
11. Power of court to cancel or suspend licenceOn any conviction of a cattle trader for an offence against this Act or against any of the provisions of the Animal Diseases Act or any rules made under either of the Acts, the court may, in addition to any sentence imposed, cancel or suspend for any period it thinks fit any licence issued under this Act to the offender, and may declare the person convicted to be disqualified from obtaining another licence under this Act either permanently or for a stated period and shall endorse upon the licence particulars of any order made under this section, and shall also furnish the commissioner of livestock and entomology with particulars of the conviction and order.
History of this document
30 September 1943