National Housing and Construction Corporation Act
- Commenced on 27 September 1974
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Establishment and functions of the corporation
2. Establishment and seal of the corporation
3. Functions of the corporation
4. Powers of the corporationThe corporation shall have power, for the effective discharge of its functions—
5. The board
6. Meetings of the board
7. Committees of the board
8. Remuneration of board members, etc.The chairperson and the other members of the board and any other person attending any meeting of the board or its committee may be paid such remuneration or allowances as the Minister may determine.
9. General manager
10. Secretary of the corporation
11. Staff of the corporation
12. Funds of the corporationThe funds of the corporation shall consist of—
13. Borrowing powers
14. Guarantee by the Government
15. Repayments by the corporationThe corporation shall make to the Minister at such times and in such manner as the Minister may, with the approval of the Minister responsible for finance, direct—
17. Corporation to operate on sound financial principlesIn the discharge of its functions under this Act, the corporation shall so conduct its business that taking one transaction with another, and taking one year with another—
18. InvestmentsThe corporation may, subject to section 4, invest any monies under its control in any project approved by the Minister, in consultation with the Minister responsible for finance.
19. Accounts and audit
20. Transfer of property and assetsAny property or assets which immediately before the commencement of this Act were vested in the corporation, then known as the National Housing Corporation, are transferred to the corporation together with any obligations or liabilities attaching to the property or assets.
21. Minister’s power of directionThe Minister may, subject to this Act, give written directions of a general or specific nature to the corporation, and the corporation shall be bound to comply with any such direction.
22. Annual reportsThe board shall, not later than six months after the end of each financial year, make and submit to the Minister a report showing the performance of the board during that financial year, including the extent to which any direction given by the Minister during that financial year has been carried out.
23. Byelaws of the corporationThe board may, with prior approval of the Minister, make byelaws, not inconsistent with this Act, regulating the conduct of the business of the corporation and, without derogating from the generality of the foregoing, regulating the following matters—
24. RegulationsThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, make building regulations and regulations for the control of professional and consultancy fees payable by the corporation and generally for better carrying out the provisions and principles of this Act.
History of this document
27 September 1974