National Curriculum Development Centre Act
- Commenced on 1 April 1973
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Establishment, functions and powers of the National Curriculum Centre
2. Establishment and incorporation of the centreThere is established a centre to be called the National Curriculum Development Centre which shall, in that name, be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and may sue and be sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, may do and suffer all other acts and things as bodies corporate may lawfully do and suffer.
3. Functions of the centre
4. Powers of the centreThe centre may do all such things as are calculated to facilitate, or as are incidental or conducive to, better carrying out its functions and may, in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing—
5. Seal and documents of the centre; signatures of chairperson and members
6. Custody and use of the sealThe common seal of the centre shall be kept in the custody of a person appointed by the council and shall not be used or affixed to any instrument except in pursuance of a resolution duly adopted by the council and in the presence of at least two members of the council, and those members shall sign every instrument to which the common seal of the centre is so affixed in their presence.
7. Membership of the council
8. Functions of the council
9. Disqualification for membership of the council
10. Chairperson of the council
11. Term of office of appointed members
12. Filling of vacancyIf any vacancy occurs on the council by death, resignation, effluxion of time or otherwise, the vacancy shall be filled by a person appointed by the Minister.
13. Meetings of the council
14. Transaction of business by circulation of papersNotwithstanding section 13, the council may, if it thinks fit, transact any of its business by the circulation of papers; and a resolution in writing approved by a majority of the members of the council shall be as valid and effectual as if it had been passed at a meeting of the council by votes of the members so approving the resolution.
15. Validity of proceedingsThe validity of any proceeding of the council shall not be affected by any defect in the appointment of any member or by the absence of any member from the meeting at which the proceeding occurred or by any vacancy among the members of the council.
16. Establishment of subcommittees
The Academic Steering Board
17. Academic Steering BoardThere shall be an Academic Steering Board, consisting of—
18. Functions of the board
19. Chairperson and secretary of the board
20. Meetings of the board
21. Transaction of business by circulation of papersNotwithstanding section 20, the board may, if it thinks fit, transact any of its business by the circulation of papers; and a resolution in writing approved by a majority of the members of the board shall be as valid and effectual as if it had been passed at a meeting of the board by votes of the members so approving the resolution.
22. Validity of proceedingsThe validity of any proceeding of the board shall not be affected by any defect in the appointment of any member or by the absence of any member from the meeting at which the proceedings occurred or by any vacancy among the members of the board.
23. Functions of subject panelsSubject panels appointed in accordance with section 18(3) shall be charged with the duties and responsibilities of—
24. Appointment of staff
25. Remuneration, etc. of the staff
26. Funds of the centreThe funds of the centre shall consist of—
27. Borrowing powers
28. EstimatesBefore the beginning of each financial year, the council shall forward to the Minister for his or her approval, estimates of its income and expenditure for the next financial year.
30. Audit of books of accountThe books of account of the centre shall be audited within four months after the end of each financial year by the Auditor General or an auditor appointed by him or her who shall be entitled to have access to all books of account, vouchers and other financial records of the centre and require such information and explanation thereon as he or she thinks fit.
31. Report of the centre’s activitiesThe council shall, not later than three months after the end of each calendar year, send to the Minister a report on the centre’s activities for that year.
32. Investment of fundsAll funds of the centre that are not immediately required shall be invested in such investments as the council, with the prior approval of the Minister responsible for finance, may determine.
33. Dealings with the centreA person dealing with the centre under this Act or with a person claiming under the centre shall not be concerned in inquiring—
35. Service of documentsAny document may be served on the centre by leaving it at or by sending it by registered post to the director at the offices of the centre.
36. ExemptionsThe centre shall be exempted from—
37. Nonapplication of Companies ActThe provisions of the Companies Act or statutory modification or re-enactment of it shall not apply to the centre.
38. Standing orders
History of this document
01 April 1973