- Amends Magistrates Courts Act
- Amends Trial on Indictments Act
- Repeals Persons with Disabilities Act, 2006
- Repeals National Council for Disability Act, 2003
Persons with Disabilities Act, 2020
Act 3 of 2020
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 10 on 14 February 2020
- Assented to on 19 September 2019
- Commenced on 14 February 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 14 February 2020.]
Part I – Preliminary
2. Determination of a person with a disabilityWhenever a question arises whether a person has a disability or not or where court so requires, a medical doctor with the relevant expertise or an expert appointed by the Council, shall carry out an examination to confirm the disability.
Part II – Rights of persons with disabilities and non discrimination.
3. Respect and promotion of rights and freedoms of persons with disabilities
4. The right to enjoy family life
5. Prohibition of inhuman and degrading treatment for persons with disabilities
6. Non discrimination in the provision of education services
7. Non discrimination in the provision of health services
8. Habilitation and rehabilitation for persons with disabilities
9. Non discrimination in employment
10. Accessibility to buildings
11. Non discrimination in the provision of transport services
12. Non discrimination in the provision of services on a commercial basis
13. Identification of suspects and accused persons by visually impaired complainants and witnessesA complainant or a witness who is a person with a disability of total blindness or low vision, may identify a suspect or an accused person by the voice of the suspect or accused person or by touching or by any other manner by which the complainant or witness is able to make the identification intelligible.
14. Affirmative action
15. Access to justice, information and training
Part III – Establishment, functions and composition of the National Council for Persons with Disabilities
16. The National Council for Persons with Disabilities
17. Functions of Council
18. Management of property registered in names of Uganda Foundation for the Blind
19. Seal of Council
20. Composition of Council
21. Tenure of office of members of CouncilA member of the Council shall hold office for a period of five years and is eligible for re-appointment for only one further term.
22. Chairperson of Council
23. Remuneration of members of CouncilA member of the Council, and any person co-opted to any meeting of the Council, may be paid such remuneration or allowances as the Minister may determine in consultation with the Minister responsible for finance.
24. Meetings of CouncilSchedule 6 to this Act shall have effect with regard to the meetings of Council.
25. Committees of Council
Part IV – The Secretariat
26. Secretariat and Executive Secretary
27. Functions of Executive Secretary
28. Other staff of Council
29. Experts and consultants
Part V – Local government councils for persons with disabilities
30. District councils for persons with disabilities
31. Functions of district council for persons with disabilitiesA district council for persons with disabilities shall—
32. Secretariat and staff of district council for persons with disabilities
33. Subcounty council for persons with disabilities
34. Functions of subcounty councils for persons with disabilitiesThe functions of a municipal, city division, municipal division, town or subcounty council for persons with disabilities are—
35. Remuneration of members of district and subcounty councils for persons with disabilities
36. Meetings of district and subcounty councils for persons with disabilities
Part VI – Financial provisions
37. Funds of Council
38. Estimates of income and expenditure
39. Financial year of the CouncilThe financial year of the Council is the period of twelve months beginning on the 1st day of July in each year and ending on the 30th June of the following year.
42. Compliance with Public Finance Management Act, 2015The Council shall comply with the Public Finance Management Act, 2015.
Part VII – Elections for persons with disabilities
43. Election of representatives
44. Candidates for electionsA person with a disability may be nominated by the Electoral Commission for elections under this Part, where that person is sponsored by a political organization or a political party or where the person stands for elections as an independent candidate.
Part VIII – Miscellaneous
45. Protection of members of Council from civil actionA member of the Council or an employee of the Council acting on its behalf shall not be personally liable for any act done by him or her in good faith for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
46. Reports of Council
47. RegulationsThe Minister may, in consultation with the Council, by statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
48. Amendment of Schedules
49. Amendment of the Trial on Indictment Act and the Magistrates Courts Act
50. Repeal of Persons with Disabilities Act, National Council for Disability Act and the Uganda Foundation for the Blind ActThe Persons with Disabilities Act, 2006, the National Council for Disability Act, No. 12 of 2003 and the Uganda Foundation for the Blind Act, Cap. 58 are repealed.
51. Transitional provisions
History of this document
14 February 2020 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 10
19 September 2019