Biofuels Act, 2020
Act 14 of 2020
- Published in Uganda Gazette 50 on 28 August 2020
- Assented to on 4 June 2018
- Commenced on 4 June 2018
- [This is the version of this document from 28 August 2020.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CommencementThis Act shall come into force on the date of assent by the President.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"biofuels" means biodiesel, bioethanol and other fuels made from biomass and primarily used for motive, thermal and power generation, with quality specifications in accordance with the national standards;"blended petroleum product" means a petroleum product that is blended with a biofuel;"currency point" has the value assigned to it in the Schedule;"feedstock" means the raw material from which biofuel is manufactured and includes animal fats, molasses and sweet sorghum stalks;"Minister" means the minister responsible for energy;"Ministry" means the Ministry responsible for energy;"petroleum product" means petrol and diesel.
3. Petroleum products supplied in Uganda to be blended with biofuels
Part II – Licensing
4. Functions of the MinistryThe Ministry shall, for the purposes of regulating the production, blending of biofuels in petroleum products and the utilisation of biofuels—
5. Declaration of licensing authorityThe Minister shall by statutory order in the Gazette, declare a Commissioner in the Ministry to be the licensing authority, for purposes of this Act.
6. LicensingA person shall not produce, store or transport biofuels or blend biofuels in petroleum products without a licence granted by the licensing authority in accordance with the requirements of this Act.
7. Application for licence
8. Granting of licence
9. Conditions of licence
10. Suspension and revocation of licenceNotwithstanding the penalties in sections 14, 15 and 16, a licence may be suspended or revoked by a licensing authority where the person granted a licence—
11. Assignment of licenceA licence shall not be assigned by a licensee or otherwise transferred to another person without the prior approval, in writing, of the licensing authority, and payment of the prescribed fees, unless otherwise provided for by regulations.
Obligations of persons granted licences
12. Obligations of person granted licence to produce biofuels
13. Obligations of person granted licence to blend biofuels in petroleum productsA person who is granted a licence to blend biofuels in petroleum products shall—
Part III – Offences and penalties
14. Offences and penalties
15. Offences by directors, employees etc
16. Settlement of cases by licensing authority
Part IV – Miscellaneous
17. Powers of the Ministry
18. Powers of Minister to give directivesThe Minister may give directives, in writing, with respect to the policy to be observed and implemented for the purposes of this Act and the officials of the Ministry shall comply with the directives.
19. Prohibition of activities against fair competition
21. Amendment of ScheduleThe Minister may with the approval of Cabinet, by statutory instrument, amend the Schedule to this Act.
22. Transitional provision
History of this document
28 August 2020 this version
04 June 2018