Uganda Cancer Institute Act, 2016
Act 19 of 2016
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 81 on 29 November 2016
- Assented to on 5 July 2016
- Commenced on 20 January 2017 by Statutory Instrument of 2017
- [This is the version of this document from 29 November 2016.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and commencement
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Board" means the Board of Directors of the Uganda Cancer Institute established under section 7;"Currency point" has the meaning assigned to it in Schedule 1;"Executive Director" means the Executive Director of the Institute appointed under section 17;"highly specialised medicines" include chemotherapeutic agents and devices related to cancer treatment;"Institute" means the Uganda Cancer Institute specified in section 4 of this Act;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for health.
3. Purpose of ActThe purpose of this Act is to—
Part II – The Uganda Cancer Institute
4. Continuance in existence of the Uganda Cancer Institute
5. Functions of the InstituteThe functions of the Institute are—
6. Powers of the Minister
7. Board of Directors
8. Disqualification for appointment to the BoardA person shall not be appointed to the Board who—
9. Tenure of office of Board members
10. Remuneration of Board membersThe members of the Board shall be paid such remuneration as the Minister, in consultation with the Minister responsible for finance, may determine.
11. Filling of vacancies on the Board
12. Functions of the Board
13. Committees of the Board
14. Meetings of the BoardThe meetings of the Board shall be conducted in accordance with Schedule 2.
15. Delegation of functions
Staff of the Institute
16. Staff of the Institute
17. Executive Director
18. Functions of Executive Director
19. Deputy Executive Director
Finances of the Institute
20. Funds of the InstituteThe funds of the Institute shall consist of—
21. Power to open and operate bank accounts
22. Borrowing powersThe Board may, with the approval of the Minister, and the Minister responsible for finance, borrow money from any source as may be required for meeting its obligations or for the discharge of the functions of the Board under this Act.
24. Financial year of InstituteThe financial year of the Institute is the period of twelve months beginning on the 1st day of July of each year and ending on the 30th day of June of the next calendar year.
27. Annual report
28. Compliance with Public Finance Management Act, 2015The Institute shall at all times comply with the provisions of the Public Finance Management Act, 2015.
Part III – General provisions
29. Vesting of control and management of health unitsThe Minister may by Statutory Instrument vest in the Institute the control and management of a health unit or a section of a health unit which is involved in the performance of function similar to those of the Institute.
30. Protection from liabilityA member of the Board, a member of staff of the Institute or any person acting on behalf of and on the authority of the Institute is not liable in his or her person capacity in any civil or criminal proceedings in respect of any act or omission done or omitted to be done in good faith in the performance of functions under this Act.
31. Validity of acts of the BoardAn act or decision of the Board shall not be invalid by reason of a vacancy in the membership of the Board where there is a defect in the appointment of a member or where a member was at the time in question disqualified or disentitled to act as a member of the Board.
32. ConsultantsThe Institute may, in the performance of its functions under this Act, engage the services of or work in consultation with professional or technical experts or consultants, whether in the public service or not, to enhance the performance of the Institute.
Part IV – Transitional and savings
34. Transfer of assets and liabilitiesAll property vested in the Uganda Cancer Institute immediately before the commencement of this Act, shall, on the commencement of this Act, remain vested in the Uganda Cancer Institute subject to all interests, liabilities, charges, obligations and trusts affecting the property.
35. Pending proceedings and claimsAll legal proceedings and claims pending in respect of actions and activities to which the relevant laws apply shall be continued or enforced by or against the Institute in the same manner as they would have been continued or enforced by or against the Government had this Act not been enacted.
36. Employees of the Uganda Cancer Institute
History of this document
20 January 2017
29 November 2016 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 81
05 July 2016