Uganda Heart Institute Act, 2016
Act 16 of 2016
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 52 on 27 July 2016
- Assented to on 15 July 2016
- Commenced on 1 October 2016 by Statutory Instrument of 2016
- [This is the version of this document from 27 July 2016.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Title and commencement
2. Purpose of the ActThe purpose of this Act is—
3. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Board" means the Board of Directors of the Uganda Heart Institute appointed under section 8;"currency point" has the meaning assigned to it in Schedule 1;"Deputy Executive Director" means the Deputy Executive Director of the Institute appointed under section 23;"Executive Director" means the Executive Director of the Institute appointed under section 20;"Institute" means the Uganda Heart Institute established by section 4;"member" means a member of the Board and includes the Chairperson of the Board;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for health;"secretary" means the secretary to the Board designated under section 24;"Super specialised cardiac medicines, reagents, sundries and equipment" means highly specialised cardiac medicines or devices used in the management and treatment of heart diseases.
Part II – Uganda Heart Institute
4. Establishment of the Uganda Heart Institute
5. Functions of the Institute
6. Seal of the Institute
7. Powers of the Minister
Board of Directors of the Institute
8. Board of Directors
9. Qualifications of members of the Board
10. Disqualification for appointment to the BoardA person shall not be appointed to the Board who—
11. Tenure of office of Board membersA member of the Board shall hold office for four years and is eligible for reappointment for one more term, except that of the first members to be appointed to the Board, three shall be appointed to hold office for two years.
12. Termination of appointment
13. Remuneration of Board membersThe Chairperson and members of the Board shall be paid such remuneration as the Minister may determine on the recommendation of the Board.
14. Filling of vacancies on the Board
15. Functions of the Board
16. Delegation of functions of the Board
17. Meetings of the BoardSchedule 2 has effect in relation to meetings of the Board and other matters provided for in that Schedule.
18. Committees of the Board
19. Power to engage consultantsThe Institute may, in the performance of its functions under this Act, engage the services of or work in consultation with professional or technical experts or consultants, whether in the public service or not, to enhance the performance of the functions of the Institute.
Employees of the Institute
20. Executive Director
21. Functions of the Executive Director
22. Tenure of office of the Executive Director
23. Deputy Executive Director
25. Other employees of the Institute
26. Protection from liability of members of Board and officers of the InstituteA member of the Board or of a committee of the Board, an officer of the Institute or a person acting on the directions of the Board or of an officer of the Institute is not personally liable for any act or omission done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise of functions under this Act.
Part III – Finances of the Institute
27. Funds of the InstituteThe funds of the Institute shall consist of monies appropriated by Parliament for purposes of the Institute in accordance with the Public Finance Management Act, 2015.
28. Duty to operate on sound financial principlesThe Board shall, in the performance of its functions under this Act, have due regard to sound financial principles and shall conduct its business in such a manner that, taking one transaction with another, and taking one year with another—
29. Power to open and operate bank accounts
31. Financial year of the InstituteThe financial year of the Institute shall be the same as the financial year of the Government.
34. Annual report
35. Compliance with the Public Finance Management Act, 2015The Institute shall at all times comply with the Public Finance Management Act, 2015.
Part IV – Miscellaneous
36. Service of documentsAny notice or document may be served on the Institute by delivering it at the office of the Executive Director, or by sending it by pre-paid registered post to the Executive Director.
37. Indemnity for bona fide actsNo matter or thing done by any member of the Board shall, if done bona fide in the execution or in the purported execution of the functions of the Board, render that member personally liable for that matter or thing.
38. Validity of acts of the BoardNo act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason only of any vacancy in the membership of the Board, any defect in the appointment of any member or the fact that any member was, at the time in question, disqualified or disentitled to act as such.
40. Amendment of Schedules
Part V – Savings and transitional
41. Vesting of assets and liabilitiesOn the commencement of this Act—
42. Continuation of employment of employees of Uganda Heart Institute Limited
43. Winding up of the Uganda Heart Institute LimitedOn the commencement of this Act, the Uganda Heart Institute Limited shall be wound up in accordance with the Companies Act, 2012.
History of this document
01 October 2016
27 July 2016 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 52
15 July 2016
Cited documents 0
Documents citing this one 4
- In Re: Kambale (Infant) (Family Cause No. 3 of 2018)  UGHCFD 5 (9 May 2019)
- In the matter for Adoption of Mirembe Angel by Rudy Ray Lee and Jessica Lee Joe Lee (Adoption Cause No. 32 of 2018)  UGHCFD 16 (13 June 2019)
- In the Matter of an Adoption cause by Mryta Burpee (Adoption Cause No. 1 of 2019)  UGHCFD 446 (3 July 2019)
- In the matter of a petition by Mryta for the adoption of Namukisa (Adoption Cause No. 1 of 2019)  UGHC 260 (23 July 2019)