National Population Council Act, 2014
Act 8 of 2014
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 46 on 8 August 2014
- Assented to on 6 January 2014
- Commenced on 8 November 2014
- [This is the version of this document from 8 August 2014.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CommencementThis Act shall come into force three months after publication in the Gazette.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Council" means the National Population Council established by section 3;"currency point" means the value assigned to a currency point in Schedule 1;"Director General" means the Director General of the Council appointed under section 14;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for planning and economic development;"Population Secretariat" or "Secretariat" means the National Population Council Secretariat established under section 11.
Part II – National Population Council
3. Establishment of the Council
4. Composition of the Council
5. Tenure of the Council
6. Remuneration of Council membersThe Minister shall determine the remuneration and allowances of the members of the Council.
7. Functions of the Council
8. Official seal of the Council
9. Meetings of the CouncilSchedule 2 to this Act shall have effect so far as meetings of the Council and other matters specified in that Schedule are concerned.
10. Committees of the Council
Part III – The National Population Council Secretariat
11. The National Population SecretariatThere is established a National Population Secretariat, in this Act, referred to as the Population Secretariat.
12. Continuance in existence of the Population Secretariat
13. Functions of Population Secretariat
14. Director General
15. Functions of Director General
16. Officers and staff of the Council
Part IV – Financial provisions
17. Funds of the Council
18. Power to open and operate bank accounts
19. Borrowing powers
20. Investment of surplus fundsAny funds of the Council not immediately required for any purpose under this Act may be invested in a manner, which the Council may, with the approval of the Minister, after consultation with the Minister responsible for finance, determine.
Part V – Miscellaneous
24. Protection of members and staff of the Council from liabilityA member of the Council or an employee of the Council or a person acting on the directions of the Council is not personally liable for any act or omission done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise of the functions of the Council.
25. ConsultantsThe Council may engage consultants to serve as individual experts or advisers or as members of a Committee of the Council established under section 10, as may be useful and appropriate for the Council to discharge its functions.
26. Service of documentsA notice or document may be served on the Council by delivering it at the office of the Director General, or by sending it by pre-paid registered post to the Director General.
28. Amendment of ScheduleThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, with the approval of Cabinet amend Schedule 1 to this Act.
Part VI – Transitional provisions
29. Transfer of assets and liabilitiesAll property and assets vested in the Population Secretariat before the commencement of this Act shall, on the commencement of this Act, be vested in the Council subject to all interests, liabilities, obligations and trusts affecting the property.
30. Employees of the Population Secretariat
History of this document
08 November 2014
08 August 2014 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 46
06 January 2014