Uganda National Health Research Organisation Act, 2011
Act 10 of 2011
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 40 on 10 June 2011
- Assented to on 31 August 2009
- Commencement date unknown
- [This is the version of this document from 10 June 2011.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CommencementThis Act shall come into force on the date appointed by the Minister by statutory instrument, and the Minister may appoint different dates for the commencement of different provisions of this Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"approved research" means health research approved by the Board under this Act;"Board" means the Board established by section 8;"Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board;"constituent research institute" means a constituent research institute specified in Part 1 of the Third Schedule to this Act;"currency point" has the meaning assigned to it in the First Schedule to this Act;"Director General" means the head of the Organisation appointed under section 15(3);"essential national health research" means priority research on a country-specific health problem;"health" means the presence of physical, mental, social and spiritual well being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity;"health research" means using scientific methods to generate new knowledge to deal with an identified health problem or curiosity;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for health;"national health research plan" means a periodic policy document describing research strategy, priorities and programmes of the Organisation;"Organisation" means the Uganda National Health Research Organisation established by section 3;"professional council" means the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council established by the Medical and Dental Practitioners Act; the Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council established by the Nurses and Midwives Act; the Allied Health Professionals Council established by the Allied Health Professional Act, and the Pharmacy Council established by the Pharmacy and Drugs Act;"Secretary" means the Secretary to the Board;"Uganda National Council of Science and Technology" means the Uganda National Council of Science and Technology established by the Uganda National Council of Science and Technology Act.
Part II – Establishment, composition, objects, functions and powers of the Organisation
3. Establishment of the Organisation
4. Composition of OrganisationThe Organisation shall comprise—
5. Object of the OrganisationThe object of the Organisation is to create a sustainable culture of health research by providing policy and ethical guidelines and national coordination and regulation of health research.
6. Functions of the OrganisationThe functions of the Organisation are—
7. Powers of the Organisation
Part III – The Board of the Organisation
8. The Board
9. Tenure of office of members of the Board
10. Disqualification for membership of the BoardA person shall not be appointed a member of the Board if he or she—
11. Meetings of the BoardThe Second Schedule to this Act shall apply to the meetings of the Board.
12. Functions of the Board
13. Committees of the Board
14. Remuneration of the members of the BoardThe Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and other members of the Board and members of the committees of the Board shall be paid such remuneration or allowances as may be determined by the Minister.
Part IV – Secretariat of the Organisation
15. Secretariat of the Organisation
16. Functions of the SecretariatThe functions of the Secretariat are—
17. Other staff
18. Employment of experts and consultantsThe Board may, on the advice of the Director General, engage for the Organisation, the services of a consultant or an expert to perform any of the functions of the Organisation in connection with which the consultant or expert is considered to have special competence.
Part V – Constituent research institutes
19. Constituent research institutes
20. Functions of constituent research institutesA constituent research institute shall—
21. Sourcing of funds by constituent research institutesIn the performance of its functions under this Act, a constituent research institute may solicit and accept funds for approved research.
22. Committees of constituent research institutes
23. Submission of annual estimatesThe director of a constituent research institute shall submit annual budgetary estimates of the institute to the Director-General, which shall include—
Part VI – Finances
24. Funds of the Organisation
25. Power to open and operate bank accounts
26. Investment of surplus fundsAny funds of the Organisation not immediately required for any purpose under this Act may be invested in a manner which the Board may, after consultation with the Minister and the Minister responsible for finance determine.
27. Borrowing powersThe Board may, with the approval of the Minister given in consultation with the Minister responsible for finance, borrow money from any source as may be required for the discharge of the functions of the Organisation under this Act.
29. Financial year of the OrganisationThe financial year of the Organisation is the period of twelve months beginning on the first day of July in each year and ending on the 30th day of June in the next calendar year.
Part VII – Miscellaneous
32. Immunity from personal liability
33. Records of the Organisation
34. Minister’s power to make regulations
35. Amendment of Schedules by the Minister
36. Transitional provisions
37. Vesting of assets and liabilities
History of this document
10 June 2011 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 40
31 August 2009