Uganda National Roads Authority Act, 2006
Act 15 of 2006
- Published in Uganda Gazette no. 36 on 8 June 2006
- Assented to on 24 May 2006
- Commenced on 1 December 2006 by Statutory Instrument of 2006
- [This is the version of this document from 8 June 2006.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CommencementThis Act shall come into force on a date to be appointed by the Minister by statutory instrument.
2. Purpose of the ActThe purpose of this Act is—
3. PrinciplesThe Authority shall, in achieving its purposes under section 2, take into account and give effect to the following principles—
4. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Authority" means the Uganda National Roads Authority established by section 5;"Board" means the Board of Directors appointed under section 8;"Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board appointed under section 8;"currency point" means the value assigned to a currency point in the First Schedule;"Executive Director" means the Executive Director of the Authority appointed under section 18, or a person authorised to act on his or her behalf;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for roads;"National Planning Authority" means the National Planning Authority provided for by the National Planning Authority Act 2002;"national road" means a road maintained by the Government;"national roads network" means the system of all roads maintained by the Government;"road" means any highway and any other road to which the public have access and includes—(a)a bridge over which a road passes;(b)a ferry, as defined in the Ferries Act and designated by the Minister for the purposes of this Act, by regulations made under section 37(2)(k);(c)a ship, as defined in the Inland Water Transport (Control) Act, and designated by the Minister for the purposes of this Act, by regulations made under section 37(2)(k).
Part II – Uganda National Roads Authority
5. Establishment of Authority
6. Functions of Authority
7. Powers of Minister
8. Board of Directors
9. Qualifications of members of Board
10. Disqualification for appointmentA person shall not be appointed to the Board who—
11. Tenure of office of members of Board
12. Filling of vacancies of BoardWhere a member is removed from office under section 11, the Minister may appoint another person qualified in terms of section 9 to replace the member, and to hold office for the remainder of the term of the previous member.
13. Remuneration of members of BoardThe Chairperson and the members of the Board shall be paid such remuneration as may be specified in their instruments of appointment.
14. Functions of Board
15. Meetings of Board and related mattersThe Second Schedule has effect in relation to meetings of the Board and other matters provided for in that Schedule.
16. Committees of Board
17. Delegation of functions of Authority
Part III – Staff of the Authority
18. Executive Director
19. Functions of Executive Director
20. Tenure of office of Executive Director
21. Other officers and staff of Authority
22. ConsultantsThe Board may engage consultants to serve as individual expert advisers or as members of a committee of the Board established under section 16, as may be useful and appropriate for the Board to discharge its responsibilities.
23. Protection of members and employees from personal liabilityA member of the Board or an employee of the Authority or a person acting on the directions of such a person is not personally liable for any act or omission done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise of the functions of the Authority.
Part IV – Finances
24. Funds of Authority
25. Duty to operate on sound financial principlesIn the performance of its functions under this Act, the Authority shall have due regard to sound financial principles and shall conduct its business in a manner, that taking one transaction with another, and taking one year with another—
26. Power to open and operate bank accounts
27. Borrowing powers
28. Investment of surplus fundsAny funds of the Authority not immediately required for any purpose under this Act may be invested in a manner, which the Board may, with the approval of the Minister, after consultation with the Minister responsible for finance, determine.
30. Financial year of AuthorityThe financial year of the Authority is the period of twelve months beginning on the 1st day of July in each year, and ending on the 30th day of June in the next calendar year.
Part V – Miscellaneous
33. Performance agreements
34. Annual and other reports
35. Official seal of Authority
36. Service of documentsAny notice or document may be served on the Authority by delivering it at the office of the Executive Director, or by sending it by pre-paid registered post to the Executive Director.
38. Amendment of Schedules
Part VI – Transitional
39. Transfer of assets and liabilities
41. Existing lawsAny law in existence immediately before the coming into force of this Act relating to national roads shall have effect subject to such modifications as may be necessary to give effect to this Act.
History of this document
01 December 2006
08 June 2006 this version
Published in Uganda Gazette number 36
24 May 2006
Cited documents 0
Documents citing this one 6
- Civil Procedure and Limitation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act
- Nabuwati & 2 Ors v Uganda National Roads Authority & Anor (Civil Suit No. 136 of 2012)  UGHCLD 98 (14 April 2014)
- Uganda Government Gazette dated 2006-11-21 number 68
- Uganda Government Gazette dated 2008-10-03 number 50
- Uganda Government Gazette dated 2012-06-22 number 34
- Uganda Government Gazette dated 2019-09-25 number 48