Other Political Systems Act
- Commenced on 25 January 2000
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I — Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II — General
2. Acceptance of political systemsNo political system shall be accepted as any other democratic and representative political system for the purpose of article 69(2)(c) of the Constitution for being proposed for voting, at a referendum under article 74(1) of the Constitution, or for the purposes of a resolution of Parliament under article 74(2) of the Constitution, unless that political system has, upon a petition, been approved by Parliament before the referendum in question or the parliamentary resolution under article 74(2) of the Constitution.
3. "Any other democratic and representative political system" definedFor the purposes of this Act, "any other democratic and representative political system" shall mean a democratic and representative political system which is different from the movement political system and the multiparty political system within the meaning of articles 70 and 71 of the Constitution respectively.
4. PetitionsA petition for approval of a political system under this Act shall be in the form specified in the Schedule to this Act and shall—
5. Verification by commission
6. Action by MinisterThe Minister, upon receipt of the petition and certificate of the commission under section 5(2), shall lay the petition and the certificate before Parliament within one month after receiving them or, if Parliament is not sitting, within one month after Parliament commences sitting after that.
7. Action by Parliament
8. PublicationThe commission, upon receiving the resolution under section 7, shall within twenty-one days cause it to be published in the Gazette.
9. RegulationsThe Minister may, with the approval of Parliament, make regulations for giving full effect to this Act and, in particular, for prescribing anything required or authorised by this Act to be prescribed.
History of this document
25 January 2000