- Is amended by Amnesty (Amendment) Act, 2002
- Is amended by Amnesty (Amendment) Act, 2006
- Commenced on 21 January 2000
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 2000 to 11 July 2002.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Declaration of amnesty, etc.
2. Declaration of amnesty
3. Grant of amnesty
4. Reporter to be handed over to chief administrative officerAn official or authority specified in section 3 who receives a reporter under section 3 shall hand over the reporter and weapons, if any, to the subcounty chief of the area.
5. Chief administrative officer to hand over reporter to Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamThe subcounty chief on receiving a reporter seeking amnesty, shall hand over that reporter to the Demobilisation and Resettlement Team established under section 10.
Part III – Amnesty Commission
6. Amnesty CommissionAn Amnesty Commission is established.
7. Members of the commissionThe Amnesty Commission shall be composed of the following persons appointed by the President with the approval of Parliament—
8. Functions of the commissionThe commission shall have the following functions—
9. Secretary and other staff of the commission
10. Establishment of the Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamA Demobilisation and Resettlement Team is established.
11. Composition of the Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamThe DRT shall be composed of not more than seven members to be appointed by the President with the approval of the Sectoral Committee on Defence and Internal Security of Parliament.
12. Functions of the Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamThe functions of the DRT shall be to draw programmes for—
13. Demobilisation and Resettlement Team to carry out functions in accordance with Regulations
14. Salaries and emoluments of the commission and the Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamThe Minister in consultation with the Minister responsible for finance shall determine the salaries and emoluments of the members of the commission and the DRT which shall be charged on the Consolidated Fund.
15. Funds and expenses of the commission and the Demobilisation and Resettlement TeamAll monies required to defray all expenses that may be incurred in the discharge of the functions of the commission or the DRT in the carrying out of the purposes of this Act are charged on the Consolidated Fund.
Part IV – General
16. DurationThis Act will remain in force for a period not exceeding six months and on expiry, the Minister may by statutory instrument extend that period.
17. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for the resettlement of persons under this Act and generally for better carrying out the provisions and principles of this Act.
History of this document
19 July 2006 amendment not yet applied
Amended by Amnesty (Amendment) Act, 2006
12 July 2002 amendment not yet applied
Amended by Amnesty (Amendment) Act, 2002
21 January 2000