Uganda Registration Services Bureau Act
- Commenced on 16 August 2004
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CommencementThis Act shall come into force on a date appointed by the Minister by statutory instrument.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Establishment, objects and functions of the bureau
3. Establishment of the bureau
4. Objects and functions of the bureau
Part III – The board of directors
5. Board of directors
6. Tenure of office of members of the board
7. Functions of the boardThe functions of the board shall be—
8. Meetings of the board
9. Remuneration of membersA member of the board or any other person who attends any meeting of the board may be paid such remuneration or allowances and at such rates as may be determined by the board with the approval of the Minister.
10. Disclosure of interest
11. Vacancy not to affect proceedingsThe validity of any proceedings of the board shall not be affected by any vacancy among its members or by any defect in the appointment of any member or by the fact that a person who was not entitled to do so took part in the proceedings of the board.
Part IV – Committees and subcommittees of the board
12. Committees and subcommittees
13. Procedure of committees and subcommitteesExcept as expressly provided under this Act, the procedure of committees or subcommittees established under section 12 shall be as may be prescribed by the board.
Part V – Management and staff of the bureau
14. Registrar General
15. Secretary to the board
16. Other staff
17. Engagement of experts and consultants
Part VI – Financial provisions
18. Revenue payable into the Consolidated FundAll revenue collected by or due to the bureau under this Act shall be payable into the Consolidated Fund.
19. Funds of the bureau
20. Borrowing powers
24. Financial yearThe financial year of the bureau shall be the period of twelve months beginning from the 1st day of July and ending on the 30th day of June in the year following; except that the first financial year of the bureau shall be the period commencing with the commencement of this Act and ending with the 30th day of June next following
Part VII – Miscellaneous provisions
25. Registration procedure and registersThe registrations referred to in section 4 shall be carried out as is provided by the relevant laws under which the registration is made, and the registers shall be maintained as prescribed under those laws.
26. Branch officesThe bureau shall maintain such branch offices outside its headquarters and in such places as are necessary and practical for the purpose of achieving efficiency in its operations.
27. Seal of the bureau
28. Minister’s powers of direction
29. Annual reportThe board shall cause to be prepared and shall submit to the Minister within three months after the end of each financial year an annual report on the activities and operations of the bureau for that financial year.
30. Minister to report to ParliamentThe Minister shall each year submit to Parliament as soon as possible, after receiving them, the auditor’s report and the annual report of the bureau.
31. Exemption from liabilityAny member of the board or employee or any person acting on behalf of and on the authority of the bureau shall not be liable in his or her personal capacity in any civil or criminal proceedings in respect of any act or omission done or made in good faith in the performance of his or her duties.
32. RegulationsThe Minister may, after consultation with the board, by statutory instrument, make regulations generally for giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
33. Amendment of the Schedules
34. Transfer of assets and liabilitiesAll property, except such property as the Minister may specify in writing, which, immediately before the commencement of this Act, was vested in the Government for the use of the department of the Registrar General for the purposes of giving effect to the relevant laws, shall, on the date of commencement of this Act, vest in the bureau subject to all interests, liabilities, charges, obligations and trusts affecting that property.
35. Pending proceedings and claimsAll legal proceedings and claims pending in respect of actions and activities to which the relevant laws apply shall be continued or enforced by or against the bureau in the same manner as they would have been continued or enforced by or against the Government had this Act not been enacted.
36. Consequential amendments
History of this document
16 August 2004