Uganda National Institute of Special Education Act
- Commenced on 16 June 1995
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Establishment, functions and composition of the institute and council
2. Establishment of the institute
3. Seal of the institute
4. Objects of the instituteThe objects for which the institute is established are—
5. Functions of the institute
6. Composition of the institute
7. Establishment and composition of the council
8. Functions of the councilThe functions of the council shall be—
9. Meetings of the councilThe meetings of the council shall be as is provided in the Schedule to this Act.
Part III – Establishment of boards and committees
10. Establishment of the board of studies
11. Functions of the board of studiesThe functions of the board of studies shall be—
12. Committees of the board of studiesThe board of studies may appoint such number of committees as it may see fit for the better functioning of the board.
13. Meetings of the board of studies
14. Appointments board
15. Other committeesThe institute may have such other committees as the council may determine.
Part IV – Staff of the institute
16. Office of director
17. Office of deputy director
18. Administrative secretary
19. Other officers
20. Academic staffThe academic staff shall consist of—
21. Other staffThe institute shall have other officers and employees as may be determined by the council, and the officers and other employees shall hold office on terms and conditions that may be determined by the council.
22. Staff responsible to the councilAll members of staff, whether administrative, academic or other category of employees, shall be—
23. Incapacity of member of staff
Part V – Financial provisions
24. Funds of the institute
25. Management of funds and property of the institute
26. InvestmentThe council may invest any of its funds in any securities issued or guaranteed by the Government or in any other securities approved by the council.
27. Borrowing powersThe council may, with the approval of the Minister, borrow money on terms that may be agreed upon by the council and the person lending the money.
28. Financial yearThe financial year of the institute shall be the twelve months beginning from the 1st day of July and ending on the 30th day of June.
30. Accounts and audit
Part VI – Miscellaneous provisions
32. Exemption from taxThe institute shall be exempted from—
33. Service of documentsAny document may be served on the institute by delivering it to the office or sending it by courier, registered post, telefax or electronic mail.
34. Annual reportThe council shall within three months after the end of each calendar year send to the Minister a report on the activities of the institute for that year, and the Minister shall lay it before Parliament.
35. Minister’s powers of directionThe Minister may give directions of a general nature on policy matters to the council, and the council shall comply.
36. Institute to work with organisationsThe institute may, in its activities, work with nongovernmental organisations having interest in persons with disabilities and special learning needs.
38. RegulationsThe Minister may, on the recommendation of the council, make regulations generally for better carrying into effect the provisions of this Act and for the better running of the institute.
History of this document
16 June 1995