Dairy Industry Act
- Commenced on 1 June 2000
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – Establishment, powers, objectives and functions of the Dairy Development Authority
2. Establishment of the authority
3. Powers and functions of the authorityThe authority may, for and in connection with its objectives and functions under this Act—
4. Objectives of the authority
5. Duties of the authorityFor the attainment of its objectives under section 4, the authority shall—
Part III – Composition and tenure of office of the board of directors
6. Composition of the board of directors
7. Tenure of office of members of the board
8. Functions of the boardThe functions of the board shall be—
Part IV – Staff of the authority
9. Executive director
11. Other staff
12. Protection against civil liabilityNothing done by an officer or employee of the authority shall, if done bona fide for the purposes of putting this Act into effect, shall subject him or her to any civil liability.
Part V – Financial and related provisions
13. Funds of the authority
14. Borrowing powersThe authority may borrow sums of money as may be required by it for meeting any of its obligations or discharging any of its functions under this Act.
15. Advances and guarantees
16. Repayment of advances by the authority
17. Preliminary expenses
19. Accounts, audit and annual report
Part VI – Regulation of the marketing and processing of dairy products
20. Registration to engage in production and marketing of dairy products
21. Offences and penaltiesAny person who—
22. Replacement of a lost or destroyed registration certificateIf a registration certificate issued under this Act is lost or destroyed, the holder of the certificate may apply to the authority with proof to the satisfaction of the authority of the loss or destruction of the registration certificate, and the authority shall issue a certified copy of the certificate on payment of the prescribed fee; and the certified copy of the registration shall be a registration for the purposes of this Act.
Part VII – Miscellaneous provisions
24. Byelaws of the authorityThe board may, with the prior approval of the Minister, make byelaws consistent with this Act regulating the conduct of the business of the authority and, without derogating from the generality of the foregoing, regulating the following matters—
25. Regulations for registration, cess and licences
26. Ministries, departments to cooperate with the authorityEvery Ministry, department and other division of the Government, parastatal body or private company shall afford the authority all reasonable opportunity for consultation and shall, subject to any law, provide the authority with any information that the authority may require.
27. Vesting of assets and liabilities
28. RegulationsThe Minister may, after consultation with the authority, make regulations for giving full effect to this Act.
29. Minister’s power to amend SchedulesThe Minister may, after consultation with the authority, by statutory instrument amend the Schedules to this Act.
30. Employees of the Dairy Corporation
31. Incorporation of Dairy Corporation Limited
History of this document
01 June 2000