- Commenced on 22 August 1997
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 2000 to 10 July 2003.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Part I – Interpretation
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
Part II – The movement
2. The movementThe movement political system, referred to in article 70 of the Constitution, shall, subject to the Constitution, operate in accordance with this Act.
Part III – Organs under the movement
3. National conference and other organs under the movement
4. Composition of the national conference
5. Role of the national conferenceThe national conference shall—
6. Role of the chairperson
7. Meeting of the national conference
8. Meetings by requisition
Part IV – Committees of the national conference
9. National executive committee
10. Functions of the national executive committee
11. Meetings of the national executive committee
Part V – Secretariat of the movement
12. The secretariat
13. Censure of the national political commissar
14. Role of the secretariatUnder the direction of the national political commissar, the secretariat shall—
Part VI – Lower organs under the movement
15. District movement committees
16. Functions of district movement committeesThe district movement committee shall be responsible to the national executive committee for policy matters of the movement with regard to the district.
17. Meetings of district movement committees
18. Division and municipal movement committees
19. Meetings of division or municipal movement committees
20. Subcounty and town council movement committees
21. Meetings of subcounty or town council movement committees
22. Parish movement committees
23. Meetings of parish movement committees
24. Village movement committees
25. Meetings of village movement committees
Part VII – General
26. QuorumThe quorum of the national conference, the national executive committee and any other organ under the movement for any meeting shall be one-quarter of the membership of that organ.
27. Vacancy not to invalidate proceedingsThe national conference, the national executive committee and any other organ under the movement may act notwithstanding any vacancy in its membership.
28. Parliament to prescribe other principles of the movementParliament may, by resolution, prescribe other democratic principles of the movement for the purposes of article 70(2)(b) of the Constitution.
29. Standing committees, etc.The national executive committee may appoint standing and other committees to assist it in the discharge of its functions under this Act.
30. Oath of office
31. Funds of the movementThe funds of the movement shall consist of—
32. Accounts and auditThe movement organs shall keep proper books of account and records in relation to them, and the accounts shall be audited and reported on by the Auditor General in accordance with article 163 of the Constitution.
33. Terms and conditionsSubject to this Act, the terms and conditions of service of members of the national conference, the national executive committee and other organs under the movement and also of employees of the movement shall be determined by the national executive committee.
34. Assets of organs to be State assetsAll assets and property of organs under the movement shall be deemed to be assets of the State.
35. Terms of movement organs
38. Act to apply only when the movement is in forceThis Act shall only have effect when the movement political system is in force in Uganda.
History of this document
11 July 2003 amendment not yet applied
Amended by Movement (Amendment) Act, 2003
22 August 1997