Law Development Centre Act
- Commenced on 21 August 1970
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
2. Establishment and incorporation of the centreThere is established a centre to be called the Law Development Centre which shall, in that name, be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and may sue and be sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, may do and suffer all other acts and things as bodies corporate may lawfully do and suffer.
3. Functions of the centre
4. Powers of the centreThe centre shall have power to do all such things as are calculated to facilitate, or as are incidental or conducive to, better carrying out its functions and may, in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing—
5. Seal of the centre
6. Custody and use of the sealThe common seal of the centre shall be kept in the custody of a person appointed by the committee and shall not be used or affixed to any instrument except in pursuance of a resolution duly adopted by the committee.
7. Management committee and membershipThe governing body of the centre shall be a management committee consisting of—
8. Functions of the committee
9. Disqualifications for membership of the committee
10. Chairperson of the committee
11. Term of office of members
12. Filling of vacancyIf any vacancy occurs on the committee by death, resignation, effluxion of time or otherwise, the vacancy shall be filled by the Attorney General.
13. Meetings of the committee
14. Transaction of business by circulation of papersNotwithstanding section 13, the committee may, if it thinks fit, transact any of its business by the circulation of papers; and a resolution in writing approved by all the members of the committee shall be as valid and effectual as if it had been passed at a meeting of the committee by votes of the members so approving the resolution.
15. Validity of proceedingsThe validity of any proceeding of the committee shall not be affected by any defect in the appointment of any member or by the absence of any member from the meeting at which the proceeding occurred or by any vacancy among the members of the committee.
16. Establishment of subcommittees
17. Appointment of staff
18. Remuneration, etc. of staff
19. Funds of the centreThe funds of the centre shall consist of—
20. Borrowing powers
21. EstimatesBefore the beginning of each financial year, the committee shall forward to the Minister responsible for finance, for his or her approval, estimates of its income and expenditure for the next financial year.
23. Audit of books of accountThe books and accounts of the centre shall be audited within four months after the end of each financial year by the Auditor General or an auditor appointed by him or her who shall be entitled to have access to all books of account, vouchers and other financial records of the centre and to require such information and explanation on the financial records as he or she thinks fit.
24. Report of centre’s activitiesThe committee shall, not later than three months after the end of each calendar year, send to the Attorney General a report on the centre’s activities for the year.
25. Investment of fundsAll funds of the centre that are not immediately required shall be invested in such investments as the committee, with the prior approval of the Minister responsible for finance, may determine.
26. Dealings with the centreA person dealing with the centre under this Act or with a person claiming under the centre shall not be concerned in inquiring—
28. Service of documentsAny document may be served on the centre by leaving it at or by sending it by registered post to the director of the centre at the offices of the centre.
29. Preliminary expensesAny act done and preliminary expenses sanctioned by the Minister responsible for finance in connection with the establishment of the centre shall have the same effect and validity as if the act had been validly done and the expenses validly incurred by the centre; and the centre may continue any such act or thing commenced under any such sanction but remaining unfinished at the date of the coming into force of this Act as if the act or thing had been initiated and carried through by the centre.
30. ExemptionsThe centre shall be exempted from—
31. Application of the Companies ActThe Companies Act or any statutory modification or reenactment of it shall not apply to the centre.
32. Standing orders
History of this document
31 December 2000 this version
21 August 1970