Tobacco (Control and Marketing) Act
- Commenced on 15 September 1967
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2000.]
- [Note: The version of the Act as at 31 December 2000 was revised and consolidated by the Law Reform Commission of Uganda. All subsequent amendments have been researched and applied by Laws.Africa for ULII.]
Production of tobacco
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
2. Declaration of growing areas
3. Registration of growersAny person who wishes to grow tobacco for sale in an area declared to be a growing area shall apply to be registered as a grower in accordance with regulations made for that purpose under section 17.
4. Distribution of tobacco seed
5. Pest control
6. Destruction of tobacco plants
Marketing of tobacco
7. Declaration of markets
8. Tobacco buying licence
9. Fixing of prices and seasons
10. Tobacco cess
11. Appointment of inspecting officersThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, appoint any person to be an inspecting officer for the purposes of this Act.
12. Powers of inspecting officersAn inspecting officer may—
13. Delegation of Minister’s powersWhere under the provisions of this Act the Minister is empowered to exercise any powers or perform any duties, he or she may, by statutory instrument, delegate the exercise or performance of any of his or her powers or duties to any person subject to such conditions, limitations and exceptions as he or she may prescribe.
14. Personal liabilityNo matter or thing done by the Minister, the commissioner, a public officer or an inspecting officer shall, if it is done bona fide for the purposes of executing any provisions of this Act, subject the Minister, the commissioner or any such officer to any civil liability.
15. Powers of exemptionNotwithstanding the provisions of this Act, the Minister may, on the advice of the commissioner, by statutory instrument, exclude or exempt any type of tobacco from any or all of the provisions of this Act.
16. Offences and penalties
History of this document
15 September 1967